Everytime I've picked up John at the airport from his worldly travels... I've always surprised him one way or the other (or at least I thought I have until John tells me he knew all along)
Surprise #1: The first time it was when we were dating and he went on a 3 week short-term trip to Tacna, Peru. I was supposed to be working that day in Flagstaff, but I got someone to cover for me and was there at the airport. He knew I was scheduled to work and couldn't make it but he later told me "I was pretty sure I would see you at the airport."
Surprise #2: (the boy gets cocky) Summer of 2008 5 months after we get married... John goes to Ghana with Engineers Without Borders for 1 month. Probably one of the hardest times in my life because I got so used to having him around me all the time and I missed him terribly! But I told him I DEFINITELY could NOT be at the airport this time. When I told him that, it was true, but plans changed and I was able to get off work early. Again, he said "of course I knew you would be at the airport." -hence the cockiness
Surprise #3: Ok, so this is not really a surprise but its some nice background... John left for 2 weeks (over our first anniversary I might add lol!- don't worry I got flowers later for that!) to do an assessment trip in Ghana for EWB again. This time, I didn't even try to tell him I wouldn't be there... he just knew. Plus I think it was on one of my days off.
TODAYS SURPRISE!!!!!!: Okay... so John knows I am coming to pick him up at the airport. But does he think I am coming alone?? I'm not sure... but boy oh boy do I have a surprise pick-up crew. We have at least 15 adults and 3 babies coming and we have made some AWESOME signs! People at the airport are going to think we're picking up someone famous!!! If it were me, I would ask John "who is coming to pick me up?" because I am such atype A detailed person. John, on the other hand, is a big picture, "lets not worry nor think about any of the details till we have to" person.
Pick up crew includes: Me (obviously!), my parents, my brother & his wife Sally & daughter Ada, my aunt & uncle, my cousin Stephen & his lovely girlfriend Katie (see Easter post for pics of these lovely people), John and I's friends Kati & Ben & their son Tanner. Even more exciting is that his family his driving from Parker, AZ to Phoenix to surprise him... his mom, two sisters, Amy and Melissa, Melissa's hubby Genaro and their son Joshua (who John hasn't met yet!!! 6 months old already!)
John's family being at the airport is the only variable that I think John might have guessed at. His Gramps called him in Africa (thinking he was calling his son John instead of his grandson) and spilled the beans!!! Luckily, I was able to play off Gramp's old age and perhaps declining memory (I know I am a bad person!) and say "No... I think Gramps got it mixed up, you know how he is... Your family wasn't able to take off work since you're coming in the evening... I even asked them." Forgive me Lord for the lie! Anyways... we will see if I outsmarted my smartypants husband ;)
I will post ASAP with pictures of the long awaited reuniting!
Surprise #1: The first time it was when we were dating and he went on a 3 week short-term trip to Tacna, Peru. I was supposed to be working that day in Flagstaff, but I got someone to cover for me and was there at the airport. He knew I was scheduled to work and couldn't make it but he later told me "I was pretty sure I would see you at the airport."
Surprise #2: (the boy gets cocky) Summer of 2008 5 months after we get married... John goes to Ghana with Engineers Without Borders for 1 month. Probably one of the hardest times in my life because I got so used to having him around me all the time and I missed him terribly! But I told him I DEFINITELY could NOT be at the airport this time. When I told him that, it was true, but plans changed and I was able to get off work early. Again, he said "of course I knew you would be at the airport." -hence the cockiness
Surprise #3: Ok, so this is not really a surprise but its some nice background... John left for 2 weeks (over our first anniversary I might add lol!- don't worry I got flowers later for that!) to do an assessment trip in Ghana for EWB again. This time, I didn't even try to tell him I wouldn't be there... he just knew. Plus I think it was on one of my days off.
TODAYS SURPRISE!!!!!!: Okay... so John knows I am coming to pick him up at the airport. But does he think I am coming alone?? I'm not sure... but boy oh boy do I have a surprise pick-up crew. We have at least 15 adults and 3 babies coming and we have made some AWESOME signs! People at the airport are going to think we're picking up someone famous!!! If it were me, I would ask John "who is coming to pick me up?" because I am such a
Pick up crew includes: Me (obviously!), my parents, my brother & his wife Sally & daughter Ada, my aunt & uncle, my cousin Stephen & his lovely girlfriend Katie (see Easter post for pics of these lovely people), John and I's friends Kati & Ben & their son Tanner. Even more exciting is that his family his driving from Parker, AZ to Phoenix to surprise him... his mom, two sisters, Amy and Melissa, Melissa's hubby Genaro and their son Joshua (who John hasn't met yet!!! 6 months old already!)
John's family being at the airport is the only variable that I think John might have guessed at. His Gramps called him in Africa (thinking he was calling his son John instead of his grandson) and spilled the beans!!! Luckily, I was able to play off Gramp's old age and perhaps declining memory (I know I am a bad person!) and say "No... I think Gramps got it mixed up, you know how he is... Your family wasn't able to take off work since you're coming in the evening... I even asked them." Forgive me Lord for the lie! Anyways... we will see if I outsmarted my smartypants husband ;)
I will post ASAP with pictures of the long awaited reuniting!
slacking with the pictures senorita...
ReplyDelete