Saturday, December 3, 2011

This Would Be Funnier If It Happened to Someone Else...

Someone from the UK recently bought us a pound of coffee.  I had been off of caffeinated drinks since I found out I was pregnant.  The later half of my pregnancy I had a decaf coffee 1-2 times a week.  Since returning to Sierra Leone... John got me hooked back on the stuff. 

Because coffee is hard to come by here, John and I eek out every last ground of it.  We grind it fresh from beans using Chad's grinder and put the rest in a little ziploc baggie to use for the next 2 days.  This story is about a baggie experience going horribly horribly wrong.

So rewind to a couple of days ago... I had just ground a small batch of that new UK coffee and was looking for that baggie that we re-use.  I see it in the spice rack with a few grounds from the old batch.  I think to myself "oh I guess I didn't finish up the last batch."  Today I go to scoop out some coffee for the french press and I notice I get some of the old grounds in there.  I think to myself "ooo, I wonder what this flavor combination will taste like.  It could be from the lb. of Starbucks Verona that we brought in with us on the plane!"

I sit down to do my bible study with my coffee in hand and think... "wow... this has a very distinct cumin-like flavor.  How odd!" Supposedly this stuff from the UK was supposed to have chocolate undertones.  I continue to drink it and now I detect some real spice.  "Wow... its even spicy!" But... I continue to drink it as my mind wonders what is going on with the coffee... "I have been having a lot of cumin lately... am I just going crazy and think everything tastes like cumin now?" "I don't remember the coffee yesterday tasting like cumin and being spicy" "Is it salty too?"

And then it hits me.  I had put the freshly ground coffee in a baggie that had TACO SEASONING in it!  The chili powder had made it nearly the same color as coffee and that early in the morning... I'm sure things were a bit fuzzy.  At this point, the great debate runs through my mind as whether to continue drinking this Mexican Coffee (not as good as it sounds!) It KILLS me to waste this precious commodity.  But then .5 seconds later I was dumping out the french press and grinding some new coffee. 

Now I sit here with some new delicious coffee (with the promised chocolate undertones) thinking I have to share this story... although it would be a lot funnier to me if it had happened to someone else!

1 comment:

  1. Could have been worse - I was imagining you were going to say it turned out to be mold in the bag you re-used.

    ReplyDelete