Well today was the big move day! It is about 7:30 and its completely dark outside. We have no electricity. We may get some this weekend. Otherwise we will use the generator at night so we can cook our food, etc. Its kind of fun! I mean, I love me some electricity, but the darkness is the way God created it. The industrialized nations just found a way to work around it. Hopefully we will get our mosquito net up before bedtime!
Alright, enough about moving, I will post pictures in a day or two of us all moved in and each of the rooms. But today I know you are all curious about John working out on Saturdays. Okay okay its not really what John would call 'working out' because its a game, but it is great exercise.
Well you probably can't tell but its John playing ultimate frisbee on the beach in Sierra Leone. And let me tell you its INTENSE! I wouldn't be allowed to play even if I wanted to! (I enjoy the team sports where you don't have to be good and nobody lets you say anything negative about yourself if you drop the ball- literally or figuratively).
One of John's friends from a mission organization called Word Made Flesh invited him to play and he goes almost every Saturday. His buddy Chris works with a lot of inner city youth so its time that they can all have fun and play together (usually no fights!). John really likes the opportunity to interact with a different group of locals.
Plus, John likes the workout as well. About the prior 10 months before we left for Sierra Leone, John was so busy with moving down to Phoenix, working a bunch of hours, and finishing his thesis that he had little time for exercise. We both think that he's lost maybe 5 lbs since being here.
I usually go with him because I go for a short, easy jog on the beach and then I hang out with Chris' wife and their adopted daughter Kiara, and some locals.
Here they are...
Isn't she just darling?
Chris, Erin, and Kiara are almost finished with their 3 year contract in February and will be returning to the states. We will miss them! I think John will continue with the ultimate frisbee but will have to find a new tennis partner (Chris and John have been playing tennis once a week as well).






No comments:
Post a Comment