Friday, August 19, 2011

Birth Story Part II:The Arrival of Aden Justus

Ok, so here is where the story gets good...

John and I are both feeling great... I have no more pain but I can still feel my lower half which is I guess where you want to be.  I could bend my knees and push off my feet to get my bottom off the bed.  I think some people don't like epidurals because they can't feel anything.  John and I were both feeling good and just waiting till around 7 pm for the nurse to come back and check me. 

About an hour later, 4:45ish the nurse comes back and says "Dr. Moorehead called and wants me to check you"  I said ok and everybody but my mom left.  She asks me "what do you think you are?"  I said "I hope at least 6 cm" to which she replied "You're a 9.5!"  John and I both smiled and laughed with delight! In an hour I had gone from 5 cm to almost fully dialated! I think the epidural was what was needed to get me to relax and let my body do its thing.  I also think that I was in the process of dialating really quickly and that is why the pain was so intense right before I got the epidural.

All of a sudden I knew we were in business and things started getting exciting! The nurse called Dr. Moorehead to get down there.  She said Dr. Moorehead had said somebody paged her before the nurse came to check me but everybody in L&D denied doing it.  I think it was an angel ;)  The nurses brought in a bunch of equipment and gowns and turned on the heater for the baby.  My cousin Megan also came into my room at some point before I delivered.  I had wanted her to be in the delivery room because we are so close and I wanted to be able to share that experience with her.  I knew she would not be weirded out or anything and I was sad to have missed out on the birth of her son Sullivan 9 months earlier.  So I asked John if she could stay and he said yes!

John and I before I started to push


The nurse decided to try a practice push to see how I would do with pushing.  After one push she said "Ok I can see you're going to be good at pushing."  A little bit before Dr. Moorehead arrived she said "Ok lets try another one so that you're all ready right when the Dr. gets here" I pushed again and she said "ok stop stop stop!"  Apparently he was getting close to arrival.  It was interesting because I could still feel myself pushing, but there was no pain. Twenty minutes after they called her, Dr. Moorehead arrived and gowned up.  All of a sudden I was pushing through one contraction, which is maybe like 3 total pushes.  Then the next contraction I did another two pushes and right before the third Dr. Moorehead said "I'm going to get splashed" and splashed she did get! With the third push he came out and I had this incredible empty feeling now in my stomach! Aden Justus was immediately placed on my stomach and John and I were both in love!



After a couple of minutes, they placed him on the heater and got him all cleaned up and weighed/measured.  Aden measured 21.5 inches, 7 lbs 10 oz (which I had guessed it would be the night prior with John) and a 9 on the APGAR. 



Having a baby was one of the most incredible, miraculous experiences of my life!  After having a baby, I cannot fathom how one cannot believe in a Creator.  I look upon it in such wonderful remembrance and cannot wait to do it again. 

I leave you with some 'after' pictures...










No comments:

Post a Comment