Monday, February 13, 2012

Konta-Makelben Day 6

I woke up in the middle of last night and early morning with some stomach issues.  I'll spare you all the details but I, unfortunately, got to know the squatty potty fairly well.  My stomach was gurgling every time I laid  back down.  I got out a book and a head lamp and parked myself outside of our tent in the screen room so I wouldn't have to keep getting up.  After about an hour and half or so, I was able to lay back down and sleep.  I woke up the next morning feeling much better.  I do hate using the squatty potty at night because I worry I am going to fall in! The squatty potty in Konta is particularly nice because it is super deep.  It is basically a thick concrete slab with a triangle cut out of it.  And whatever you do... don't look down the triangle! Well, at least I didn't, John told me he did. 

The next well trip we go on, I want to bring a toilet seat and dig a deep hole.  A small part of me likes the 'squatty position' because I know its a healthier position.  I read somewhere that the reason America has as much hemorrhoids and colon diseases as it does is because we don't squat when we... well you know.  It puts undue strain on the rectum and prevents complete bowel emptying.  But that is neither here nor there.  Despite liking to do the 'healthier thing', a bigger part of me likes to sit down on a nice clean toilet seat, especially when I am having to spend a lot of time there (like last night).


As I feel like my attitude has had a breakthrough recently, so has the Makelben well.  They were able to get through the rock and hit water at 24'.  Yay!


The other well is getting some collapse since they were 17' under water.  They stopped around noon so the collapsing sand/clay could resettle.  Then on Monday, they will redig as deep as possible and case the hole quickly.  I went to go watch the Makelben well today where I got more free bananas and coconuts to eat! yum!




We left for the teaching in Makelben around 7 pm.  We showed a part of the Jesus film in Themne (they had yet to see the entire film in Themne... they had seen it only Krio if you recall).  The imam and some other *uslims came out from the mosque to watch it.  John did the teaching on the calling of the disciples and the Beatitudes.  After wards the people were asking to watch the entire film.  We decided to let it play.  We were happy to see that the imam and the other worshipers decided to stay and watch since it was in their heart language.  


John and I walked back to the other village because we had our guys who speak Themne to watch it and pack up after it is over.  The next day Pastor Abdul told us how the community got very angry with the Pharisees! I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute picture of you and Aden! Hope you're doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete