![]() |
| Source |
Sierra Leone from Earth to Table
This is a really cool PDF on the local foods available. I read through it and noticed that not 'everything' is true from what I've seen but for the most part it is pretty accurate. For example, it described "fufu" as a staple eaten almost every day. However, from what I've seen and eaten, fufu tends to more of a special occasion food.
The picture above is of kola nut which is somewhat of a stimulant. It has both caffeine and theobromine in it. People chew it for the "high" or "coffee kick" I find it rather gross though... especially when I was doing dental cleanings on people that had never had their teeth cleaned and had chewed kola nuts all their lives. It would probably be equivalent (but not nearly as harmful) as chewing tobacco. I think it is probably the most common for middle aged and older ladies to chew it. I have also been told that it takes the edge off hunger (much like coffee) for people that can't afford to eat as often.
Because I love food... I would love to answer any questions that you might have about the foods in that article!

the link didn't work?! Waaaa!
ReplyDeleteok I fixed it!
Delete