Monday, June 25, 2012

Goat Saga Part 3: The Goat Milking Machine John Built


Right now John is out of town working on a well and I'm huddled under my mosquito net typing away with the light off and only the light from my computer screen glowing.  It is dark outside and the lights inside attract these crazy large flying ants.  I sought this shelter and turned off the lights in the rest of the house so I hopefully don't wake up to a living room and kitchen floor scattered with these flying ants in the morning! One lone ranger ant made it into my mosquito net and occasionally attacks my ear as I spastically swat it away.

Oh Salone!

Ok where we were we? Oh yes, so we were/are having a bit of trouble milking the goats manually.  It just isn't as efficient at getting the milk out, as well as I'm having to do each teat separately due to the skittish nature of these goats. We decided it was worth it to invest in a milking machine.  John did his typical engineering research to see what a milking machine requires.  Basically you need some sort of vacuum, a vacuum tube, a teat suction, a milk tube, and a canister for the milk to go in as well as some fittings here and there.

One trip into town as well as using just some stuff we had around the house and my goat milking machine was complete!

John had the tubing and these little fitting from around the house.  These mason jars I use regularly to ferment stuff or store foods.





The vacuum... My good ole trusty breast pump! lol!


We bought that teat suction at a grocery store here.  It was a nipple to a baby bottle that John fitted on there.



Isn't that quite incredible?  I just have no vision for stuff like that!

The big question on all of your minds is "did it work"??

Sadly no :(  The idea was pure genius! But the pump was just not strong enough and the teat suction was not properly fitted either. 

So we decided to buy one and have it sent with our the family of one of teammates that is coming to visit mid July.  We could have bought this kit. But John decided to outsource the parts and we were able to put one together for cheaper and has a stronger pump and what looks like nicer parts.  I'll let you know how it all goes when it gets here next month!



No comments:

Post a Comment