So many of you know that we bought two goats, Gingersnap and Charcoal. Well we started milking Gingersnap as soon as John built me a stanchion. It took a few sessions for her to let me milk her but she did. But at each milking (morning and evening) I barely got a tablespoon!
What??? There is no way I can make milk for Aden, and for cheese, and for kefir and all the other things I want to do with goats milk on an 1/8th cup a day! So we bought another pair...
Meet Awinnabe (we call her Winnie for short and she was also formerly known as Bertha) and her male kid Billy (aka Billy the kid)
When anybody from America (or europe, south america, canada, etc.) comes to Sierra Leone they are called Apoto (or white man) ALL THE TIME! If you drive through the bush all the kids run out from their houses and point and yell "Apoto" until you wave or acknowledge their existence. Well we asked what "black man" is in the Themne language and it is "Awinnabe." So whenever anybody calls us "Apoto" we point right back at them and say "Awinnabe" The adults usually laugh and the kids are a bit confused.
Ok back to the goats, well John didn't like her former name Bertha (I seriously loved it!) So since she is a black goat we changed her name to Awinnabe (phonetically: A win ah bee). Her kid was a bit younger and we're hoping she hadn't started weaning Billy quite yet and would thus have a larger milk supply.
Come back tomorrow to find out if she did!
What??? There is no way I can make milk for Aden, and for cheese, and for kefir and all the other things I want to do with goats milk on an 1/8th cup a day! So we bought another pair...
Meet Awinnabe (we call her Winnie for short and she was also formerly known as Bertha) and her male kid Billy (aka Billy the kid)
When anybody from America (or europe, south america, canada, etc.) comes to Sierra Leone they are called Apoto (or white man) ALL THE TIME! If you drive through the bush all the kids run out from their houses and point and yell "Apoto" until you wave or acknowledge their existence. Well we asked what "black man" is in the Themne language and it is "Awinnabe." So whenever anybody calls us "Apoto" we point right back at them and say "Awinnabe" The adults usually laugh and the kids are a bit confused.
Ok back to the goats, well John didn't like her former name Bertha (I seriously loved it!) So since she is a black goat we changed her name to Awinnabe (phonetically: A win ah bee). Her kid was a bit younger and we're hoping she hadn't started weaning Billy quite yet and would thus have a larger milk supply.
Come back tomorrow to find out if she did!
I am not sure naming a goad awinnabe is PC. Sorry, but this is going in my report.
ReplyDeleteDad
Or a goat either...
ReplyDeleteThank goodness PC hasn't arrived in Africa yet!
ReplyDelete