Saturday, April 14, 2012

Konta-Makelben Day 10

 This is what my mom said to me today on skype:

[2:16:22 PM] Scott & Tammy:
I once knew a girl who had an interesting blog. She claimed to live in villages for 2 weeks, but I believe she only lived there for 9 days. There are no actual stories or pictures verifying such a time period
[2:18:40 PM] Scott & Tammy: In fact, it is like she has fallen off the face of the earth! There are probably dozens of people waiting in vain for new installments of the saga.

While I know there are probably not 'dozens' of people who read this little blog, I bet there might be 'a' dozen.  So sorry for slackin, but I have some good news!!!  I have written and ready to go the last 5 days of my journal.  You will get one a day, for the next five days.  After the initial start of writing my journals on the blog, I had a hard time going back through my journal, reliving it.  Not that it was hard, more boring if anything.  But since it's the first time you've heard it, it is probably not boring to you.  Without further ado...

I woke up today hoping that since I didn't eat local food the day before I wouldn't have the feeling I would soil myself if I didn't get to the squatty potty pronto.  No such luck.  (Side note: sorry if the BM info is too much for some of you! I want to give you an accurate picture of what its like!) 

John was feeling worse today and he slept in a few hours.  When he did get up, he went to visit the wells.  The Makelben well (the 2nd site) had worked for a day with no progress.  At the Konta well, they were putting in sand between the 4" and 6" casing.  They met one problem though... back when they were still digging and the collapsing happened? remember when I told you about that? Well it created a a situation in which they needed a lot more sand to fill in the collapse.  They were supposed to only need 1.5 bags but ended up using 10! Since we only brought 6 bags for the entire trip (both wells) The guys had to go to the river and collect/sift more sand of the right particle size.

Pouring sand



John and I stayed back during the teaching since he wasn't feeling well.  Pastor Abdul taught on the sower and the seed which was understood very well in a land of subsistence farmers.  After the service, Abdul opened the floor for questions and the age old questions of marital bliss were brought forward...:
  • How can I submit to my husband when he   fill in the blank    ?
  • How can I be nice to my wife when she won't submit?
Abdul discussed that the man should encourage and coax the women instead of set the standard of "my way or the highway" type deal.  I really can see the potential for doing marriage seminars in the villages we visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment