I woke up and made breakfast as per usual. I brooked our laundry today. My hands are getting sores from the washboard.
The smell test
John and I went for a nature hike for ~ 1.5 hours taking pictures of the beauty of God's creation. We had purchased a nice camera before we left so we could take pictures and get into photography. However, this was the first opportunity to do so (well that we prioritized anyways). I put sunscreen on Aden and a hat (which kept falling off so we took it off) and he still got a little redness on his nose and cheeks :(
Aden in his carhart hat, daddy has a matching one!
We saw some really cool and beautiful things on our hike (get ready for picture overload):
The women separating the chaff from the rice
Intermediate Egrets
A farmer we stopped to talk to as he prepped his fields for planting
I think this is potato leaf
And I think this one is crein crein
Pineapples growing
These are little steps out into deeper water so that they would not contaminate the water as they gathered it
A nice woman and her child collecting palm nuts to make palm oil out of it. The pound it, then boil it in water and the oil rises to the top where they collect it.
I wish these pictures of the following grasshoppers were higher resolution because they were absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Some local bricks that the village members make
A weaver bird. John and I have become nerders birders. Expect to see a lot of bird pictures in the future. If you don't like or care about birds (ahem... Emily McIntosh) too bad so sad!
A local tailor
After our hike, we drove to the Makelben well where both groups were getting little to no progress on the wells. John had the original Konta group move back to the original well site since they had busted through at least some of the iron stone there.
Here is a video of one of our well guys named James after they had pulled out a piece of iron stone at the original well site. Here he is speaking a Krio/English mix for those of you who wonder what it sounds like.
Did you get all that? I put the transcript at the end of the post of what he is saying.
The original Makelben well guys moved to site #5!!! Basically it was John's last ditch effort. The site was really close to the swamp and unfortunately a little bit further away from the community than John would like. John, the well-drillers, and the entire community were wondering if it was going to be possible!?
Emily arrived to stay with us this day and for the next 3 days. I had been looking forward to her coming and some English companionship. We sat and talked while the well drillers worked. We drove back to the campsite mid afternoon. I put Aden down for a nap and then went and showered. When he got up I gave him a bath.
Here is the shower out in the bush. Notice how the shower does not actually close. I put a lot of faith in the fact that there were no looky lous out and about.
John came back around 4 pm really excited that the last well site (#5) hit water around 8'. Since they hit water at a much shallower depth initially, they were hoping that if they hit rock at the 26-27' mark that it would be sufficiently deep to put a pump on it and have it not go dry during the dry season. They worked a lot later into the evening than usual to try and dig as deep as possible so they could case it and keep the clay from collapsing the following morning. As expected, they hit rock around 26'. They decided to stop and case it. Being 18' underwater, the well won't go dry! Praise God! When the boys returned from the days work late, they all got out of the car and sang and danced with the Konta community.
Since the stayed and worked so late, neither John nor Pastor Abdul had time to prepare for that night's teaching so we skipped it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcript: Dis the hard stone weh give us hard time for few day now. We try to get it out now. And we know say we pass troo today to reach to water.
The smell test
John and I went for a nature hike for ~ 1.5 hours taking pictures of the beauty of God's creation. We had purchased a nice camera before we left so we could take pictures and get into photography. However, this was the first opportunity to do so (well that we prioritized anyways). I put sunscreen on Aden and a hat (which kept falling off so we took it off) and he still got a little redness on his nose and cheeks :(
Aden in his carhart hat, daddy has a matching one!
We saw some really cool and beautiful things on our hike (get ready for picture overload):
The women separating the chaff from the rice
Intermediate Egrets
A farmer we stopped to talk to as he prepped his fields for planting
I think this is potato leaf
And I think this one is crein crein
Pineapples growing
Petunias on lily pads
These are little steps out into deeper water so that they would not contaminate the water as they gathered it
A nice woman and her child collecting palm nuts to make palm oil out of it. The pound it, then boil it in water and the oil rises to the top where they collect it.
I wish these pictures of the following grasshoppers were higher resolution because they were absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Some local bricks that the village members make
A weaver bird. John and I have become
A local tailor
After our hike, we drove to the Makelben well where both groups were getting little to no progress on the wells. John had the original Konta group move back to the original well site since they had busted through at least some of the iron stone there.
Here is a video of one of our well guys named James after they had pulled out a piece of iron stone at the original well site. Here he is speaking a Krio/English mix for those of you who wonder what it sounds like.
Did you get all that? I put the transcript at the end of the post of what he is saying.
The original Makelben well guys moved to site #5!!! Basically it was John's last ditch effort. The site was really close to the swamp and unfortunately a little bit further away from the community than John would like. John, the well-drillers, and the entire community were wondering if it was going to be possible!?
Emily arrived to stay with us this day and for the next 3 days. I had been looking forward to her coming and some English companionship. We sat and talked while the well drillers worked. We drove back to the campsite mid afternoon. I put Aden down for a nap and then went and showered. When he got up I gave him a bath.
Here is the shower out in the bush. Notice how the shower does not actually close. I put a lot of faith in the fact that there were no looky lous out and about.
John came back around 4 pm really excited that the last well site (#5) hit water around 8'. Since they hit water at a much shallower depth initially, they were hoping that if they hit rock at the 26-27' mark that it would be sufficiently deep to put a pump on it and have it not go dry during the dry season. They worked a lot later into the evening than usual to try and dig as deep as possible so they could case it and keep the clay from collapsing the following morning. As expected, they hit rock around 26'. They decided to stop and case it. Being 18' underwater, the well won't go dry! Praise God! When the boys returned from the days work late, they all got out of the car and sang and danced with the Konta community.
Since the stayed and worked so late, neither John nor Pastor Abdul had time to prepare for that night's teaching so we skipped it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcript: Dis the hard stone weh give us hard time for few day now. We try to get it out now. And we know say we pass troo today to reach to water.






















Yay! I'm so glad you're finishing posting! I miss it when you don't post!
ReplyDelete