Friday, August 3, 2012

Chubby Bunny aka Conejo Gordo

So our team members Chad and Robin and fam went back to AZ for a furlough.  They are fluent in Spanish and we are not.  I can definitely communicate in Spanish but I much better and reading or writing than I am at speaking and understanding.  John and Emily know less than me so needless to say, there are lots of miscommunications here in Lower Allentown, Sierra Leone.

Just the other day, John was planning to take Pepe and his crew of guys upcountry to drill a well for a week.  When John went downstairs that morning to pick up Pepe to leave, he was still in his p.j.'s.  That was probably John's fault of forgetting to communicate the schedule to him.

For one of Aden's birthday parties, I was planning to make a Mexican lunch.  Alejandra was going to make "pollo al horno" or baked chicken.  Yet when I texted her to come up for the party, she had thought the party was at night! Luckily we were able to enjoy her absolutely DELICIOUS chicken for dinner.

We are always looking for ways to have fun that cross both language and cultural barriers.  Emily had the fantastic idea to play chubby bunny or in Espanol... conejo gordo.  I'm sure most people have played this game but the premise is that you take turns sticking marshmallows in your mouth and saying "chubby bunny" or for the chileans "conejo gordo" until somebody either can't say it anymore or gives up and spits them all out.  Definitely not recommended for someone with a gag reflex.

We played it when Emily's family was here and it was a hit!!! Emily beat Escarlet (although I do have to say it was an unfair advantage due to Escarlet having a smaller mouth since she's only 10 years old)


Isn't she precious?


Alejandra took a turn...


and schooled Emily!





We are so thankful and blessed to have such great and fun team members!

No comments:

Post a Comment