Monday, December 20, 2010

Fried Prawns


What is that a picture of you may ask?

Why its a prawn cracker, or what they call fried prawns here.



Ingredient list:  Starch, dehydrated shrimp powder, sugar, salt, other additives including coloring, artificial flavorings and probably a good dosing of MSG

Awutor was over last week to fry some of these up for the Kids Club's Christmas Party.  Kids Club is ministry that Robin and Awutor had adopted.  35-40 kids each week gather to listen to bible stories, have snacks, and do crafts.  The kids LOVE it... many kids from different faiths attend just because of the attention they receive.  Often, Robin has to turn the kids away due to the limited space of the room.  How unfortunate :(

But those silver dollar shaped prawn pucks fry up into something quite neat...








I tasted one and it pretty much tasted like a crunch, fried, salty chip.  Most people that like potato chips would like these prawn crackers.  The seafood taste is minimally present if not absent.

I made the mistake of putting them in a ziploc bag for the few leftovers.  When John got home to try them it was rubbery and quite inedible.  oops! 

Apparently is quite a 'special treat' for local children.  Robin said they were very excited! 

Next post:  a Christmas Serenading by Sierra Leone's finest!  (And I promise I will post about it sooner than later :)  )

No comments:

Post a Comment