Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Tribute To Amy Campbell and the Destroyer

When I first met John and and his sisters back in 2006, the girls were both working at a restaurant in Flagstaff called Casa Bonita.  They liked working at a Mexican Restaurant so they could keep up their fluency in Spanish (or meet their husbands in one of their cases lol)  We would often eat there because they had seating for a lot of people and we would get to hang out with Amy and Melissa while they worked.

Here is Amy and I celebrating her brother's (my now husband) birthday party months before we were dating at Casa Bonita.  Yes I used to have blond hair lol!

Anyways, Amy used to make the cooks fix her up a special burrito that wasn't on the menu.  It was a chicken burrito with a spicy queso (cheese dip) poured over the top of it.  She dubbed it "The Destroyer" because *ahem* it destroyed your insides the next day if you know what I mean.  But by her testimony and mine... TOTALLY worth it!

To add to the story, the Destroyer or also often called Amy's Burrito was gaining in popularity first by all of her friends, but then to people she didn't know started to ask for it at the restaurant!  When I had the chance to make the Destroyer here in Sierra Leone, I jumped at the chance!

The Destroyer

Ingredients

8 tortillas
6 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 tube of velveeta cheese
1 can of Rotel (tomatoes and green chilies)

Directions

1. Assemble chicken burritos
2. Warm up chicken burritos in the oven for ~10 minutes at 350
3. While burritos are warming up, heat velveeta and rotel on stove, stir often
4. Serve out burritos and pour queso dip on burritos individually


 Pretty sure Velveeta is like cancer in a box but it was a gift from a missionary friend that was leaving and so I had to make use of it!




Queso dip all ready to go!  Amy does this not look like the destroyer topping?  John and I dipped some chips in it and it tasted exactly like it!


Unfortunately, I did not follow my own instructions and I poured the queso mixture on top of the burritos BEFORE I put them in the oven.  While they were still tasty, it was NOT the Destroyer.  It was a little dry for my taste.  So follow my instructions and they will do you no wrong!


2 comments:

  1. Jen made this for dinner last night and it was soo good. Thanks Kaysie for putting up this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I don't know what changed, but I can leave comments now! I can't believe you made the destroyer, I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete