Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ephesians 2:8-10

When I originally started this blog, I intenionally left out many aspects of my faith in case we ever decided to go to a closed country.  I talked with John over our furlough and it seems sad to leave out these parts of my faith in a blog I originally created to stay close to friends and family.  I want to share my faith so you have a more intimate knowledge of what is going on in my life and in my heart.  Also, it seems less likely that we would ever move to a closed country.  I've been wrong before but if its God's will, then it will happen anyways whether I share these verses with you today or not.


So here are some verses that really spoke to me today...


Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV)

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

It is humbling, comforting, and convicting to know that we are not in Sierra Leone based on anything from ourselves.  It was not our idea, it is not because we are some super-spiritual couple that decided to go to Africa and give of ourselves, it is not because we are a simple people that can handle on our own strength living in what many would call harsh conditions that often includes no electricity, refridgeration, clean water, etc. 

While I wish these things were true, it is my pride talking.  We are here by grace.  A grace that saved us from our sinful lives.  The word 'saved' does not even seem to do it justice, I think 'rescued' is even better.
 
We are here in Sierra Leone because we were created in Jesus Christ to do good works.  God prepared these good works in advance for us to do. None of this was our idea, but God's.  We have no skills, nor talents, nor abilities that God did not give us other than what he gave us to do good works.   While a part of me yearns to take pride in being in Africa, I can't.  I can't boast in it, because I am here by grace

What good works has God prepared for you to do in advance? I'd love to hear it!


2 comments:

  1. Kaysie,

    That was awesome to read about what God's been teaching you about grace.  I was talking with my John (Dyer) the other day feeling overwhelmed realizing that not everyone will spend eternity with God.  He reminded me of the truth, that none of us deserves to spend eternity with God.  What I want to remember and amaze me is that God chose to save any of us.  Not because we deserve it.  Not because in us there's even a shred of good.  But because he is gracious and chose to give me a new heart that would submit to him and love him instead of rejecting and rebelling against him and all his goodness.

    So, I agree, wholeheartedly, that God is gracious and am thankful that his grace is sufficient enough to teach me this!! :)

    Hope all is going well in Sierra Leone and with your new baby boy!

    Allison Dyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Allison! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete