Friday, October 14, 2011

If you guessed...

CHAYOTE you were right!!!

In Sierra Leone they call it "chu chu" pronounced "choo choo" (like the train)

According to "Aggie Horticulture"

The chayote is also "known as the Vegetable Pear and the Mirliton, this vegetable is a member of the cucurbit family. The fruit is light green in color and pear shaped. The fruit is produced on vigorous growing vines that are cold sensitive."

Here it is raw and sliced.  It has a small seed inside of it that is also edible.


I sauteed sliced chu chu with onions, garlic, salt, and pepper in some coconut oil



I served it alongside what I call Mexican Lentils.  I soaked some red lentils, cooked them, and added some taco seasoning, extra cayenne pepper, and added some leftover shredded chicken.  I really recommend the extra cayenne.  I made it for this bible study we have once a month with other expatriates and it was quite bland.  The next night I pumped it up with some more taco seasonings and added the cayenne.  John agreed it was way better.  I topped the soup with some yummy avocado for a nice cooling effect.



Hoping to try some more local food with non-local cooking styles... see whats up next!

PS Thank you so much for your prayers.  Turns out my mom has a vitreal detachment (way less serious than a retinal detachment) There is still a small chance in could turn into a retinal detachment but this would happen in the first 3 weeks.  We're still praying for continued good news in this area.  Also, John's sickness was your typical 24 hour thing that we are used to having here and he went back to work yesterday.  Praise God!


1 comment:

  1. With the lentils, some cumin is really helpful in making it taste taco-y. That looks good with the avocados.

    ReplyDelete