Last Wednesday I turned 26!
I kind of figured once we moved to Africa that birthdays and other holidays would be either non-existent or very minimally celebrated due to lack of funds or busyness in ministry.
However, both John and the Courtney family made my birthday so FUN!
For my birthday, John bought me an internet connection cord and service for two months! We had been borrowing one of the Courtneys since we arrived, but one of them barely works at all. We bought this brand called Sierratel and its been working really great since we bought it. He also got me an African dress that I will show you soon!
John and I went to a restaurant called Bliss for lunch because it has high-speed internet. That was a part of my present too... that we could call some friends and family! However, Bliss had just renovated so their high-speed internet was down! We were so bummed, but we brought our Sierratel connection and it worked GREAT! I think it doesn't work that well in our neighborhood right now because it is soo NGO dense. We are hoping it will be as fast as it was at Bliss in our new neighborhood come January. If it is... we may not buy and set-up satellite internet because it is 4 times as much!
Robin asked Awutor if she would come over early to help her make flour tortillas in the morning so we could have another Mexican food dinner. I made refried beans and guacamole. We had bean and cheese burritos enchilada style with guacamole and Spanish brown rice! It was so delicious!
And the kids were so sweet, they decorated the dining area with balloons and a happy birthday sign! And for dessert, Robin made her delicious chocolate cake with frosting. It always turns out so moist. She says its because she adds a cup of hot water to it at the very end.
This is us, the Courtney family, and 2 visitors... Bob and Peggy Kuest here to do conferences for pastors and teachers. He's written two books Uncommon Leadership and Uncommon Relationships that I would love to read soon. He said he would upload them on to my kindle!
After blowing out the 6 candles, the kids all brought me presents! A box to put dirt in, a package of flower seeds, a hand rake all for a garden! I will try and start that asap so it will be ready when we move! Also, a beach towel. John and I had only brought regular towels to the beach... we didn't think of bringing beach towels!
Well I had a wonderful birthday thanks to my hubby and new family the Courtneys!
Next up... lunch with the Nigerian neighbors!




You know the recipe for my hot fudge squares (like texas sheet cake) from grandma hunt uses boiling water too. maybe that is the secret for moistness. It think it also dissoves the sugar more easily and completely. Yummy!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, you look beautiful! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! I can't wait to see the african dress, what a fun present! (Good job John!)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Kaysie,
ReplyDeleteYou are never far from my thoughts and prayers.
May God bless you and John and baby on the way.
Love,
Uncle Phil