Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Taste of Home

Ok I lied...  the post about River #2 is coming up next... but today... a little taste of the southwest.

One thing that the Courtneys and the Campbells have in common is their love of Mexican Food.  Some of it is a little hard to come by unless you want to pay more for it. 

Here are the local 'mexican' ingredients made in Sierra Leone:

avocados
cilantro
lime
hot peppers
chicken
rice
black eyed beans

Here are the imported ingredients that we used:

left over chicken from a grill the weekend before
Lebanese pita bread (aka tortillas)
can of green chilis from America
pinto beans from America
tomato paste from America
sour cream/yogurt from Lebanese store
cheese from Lebanese store

Here in Sierra Leone, I would say most businesses are run by the Lebanese.  Very few businesses are run by Sierra Leoneans.  I think the economic situation of Sierra Leone would greatly improve if they were the ones running businesses. The Lebanese grocery stores have all their store's goods shipped from Lebanon and thus the prices reflect it.  AKA very expensive! While I try to buy lots of fruits, vegetables, rice, and legumes locally, sometimes you just really need some chickpeas to make hummus or feta cheese and olives.

So Robin and I set to work to make a Mexican food dinner for our families.  Robin has a delicious recipe for sour cream enchiladas!  However when we bought the sour cream, it seemed to be a little fermented, which I don't mind but most people probably would.  So Robin went back to try the yogurt to see if it wouldn't be so sour and it was a tad on the sweet side.  Therefore, we mixed the two and it worked out perfectly. 



Robin's Sour Cream Enchiladas

Ingredients

2 pieces Lebanon pita bread
12 ounces sour cream (or in our case sour cream/yogurt)
1 small can green chilis
1 bunch of green onions
butter
1 cup shredded cheese
2-3 chicken breasts

Directions

1.  cook chicken and shred or cut up small
2.  saute green onions in a little bit of butter
3.  mix together 1/2 of cheese with sour cream, chilis, green onion, and chicken
4.  cut up and layer lebanese bread on bottom of 13 x 9 pan
5.  poor chicken and sour cream mixture on top
6.  add another layer of lebanese bread
7.  top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven (or in our case on the second dial seems to work great)


We ate these enchiladas with refried beans, Spanish rice,

lebanese tortilla chips baked with lime and salt,

and an avocado cilantro mixture.

It was sooo tasty!  Here is my plate... half-eaten...  I know I should have taken a picture first but I got hungry!



Oh! I love Mexican food!  Alright... next up I promise... the beach at River #2

1 comment:

  1. Mmmh... I neve tried mexican food. I want to try Robin's cream and then let you know :)

    ReplyDelete