Thursday, November 11, 2010

Groundnut Stew Recipe

Here is probably my 2nd favorite recipe so far... it may have been my first favorite if it had been made a little spicier as it is traditionally made.  Awutor has started to make things a lot less spicy (if spicy all) than the traditional recipe because she knows the Courtney kids are more likely to eat some.


Groundnut Stew

Ingredients
2 lbs kini fish (they didn't have kini at the market today so I bought 2 red snappers)
3 small onions
2 cloves of garlic grated
2 garden eggs (aka eggplant)
2 hot peppers (I recommend 4-5)
1 sweet pepper (bell pepper)
1 oz tomato paste
1/2 lb roasted groundnut paste (you can use natural peanut butter)
Salt, pepper, thyme, and a maggi cube (beef buillion)
1 pint cooking oil (palm oil is usually used here)

Directions
1.  Scale and wash fish.  Cut up in pieces 2-3 inches long including head and tail.  Fry in oil.
 2.  Saute onions, garlic, hot peppers

3.  Add peeled and sliced garden eggs and some water
4.  Add groundnut paste and the rest of the seasonings.   Let simmer for 10 minutes

Serve over rice

And because I am always drooling by the time lunch is ready, I again forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  I promise to be better!  Awutor is coming on Friday so hopefully I will be able to hold off my hunger.  We are making a dish called 'green' (what we had meant to make the day we made crain crain but bought the wrong plasas).

Everybody take care! 

No comments:

Post a Comment