Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Gem I Found in Scripture


I love going through scripture and reading a section that I have read many times before only to find a verse tucked away that I don’t remember seeing before and having it touch me so profoundly.

Today that happened in Luke 22.

Luk 22:40  On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation."

Luk 22:41  He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed,

Luk 22:42  "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Luk 22:43  An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.

Luk 22:44  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Luk 22:45  When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.

Luk 22:46  "Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

Jesus had encouraged his disciples to pray that they would not fall into temptation.  Jesus, in anguish, asks the Lord to take the cup from him but says “not my will but yours be done.” Everything was normal and how I remembered it until I got to v 43.  God sends an angel in heaven to Jesus and strengthens him.  Jesus would need this strength to endure what he was about to go through.

Why I love this verse is because I know it is available to us.  When we turn to God in times of temptation or weakness and ask for strength, He is ready and willing to send an angel to us!

Amen!




1 comment: